|Catalog Number||LOAN 2013.2|
Alberton Mill Village
Daniels Mill is a historic mill complex located at Daniels, Howard County, Maryland, in a sheltered, wooded valley of the upper Patapsco River. The complex consists of seven early industrial structures, several concrete block and brick structures of 20th century date, and Gary Memorial United Methodist Church, a granite church built in the High Victorian Gothic style with an off-center tower entrance on the west gable. South of the church is a small cemetery.
In the 19th century an industrial village existed on the site, including stores, a railroad station, a school and several mill workers' houses. The large majority of these supportive structures were demolished in the 1960s. The Elysville Manufacturing Company was incorporated in 1829, by Thomas Ely to manufacture cotton textiles. The mill was erected between August 1845 and the spring of 1846. It was acquired by the Alberton Manufacturing Company in 1853, and the mill village was called Alberton at least through the 1870s. The mill was then acquired by James S. Gary in the 1860s, who created still another firm which operated the mill until the 1940s when the C.R. Daniels Company took control, purchasing the mill for $65,000.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.
This model shows the configuration of the expanded mill at the time the entire mill town, with 118 residences, general store, post office, and restaurant went to auction in November, 1940.
-Source - Wikipedia
|Collection||Gary Maule Loan|
|Notes||On loan from Patapsco Heritage Greenway for the HCHS Maryland Day celebration, March 23rd 2013. These models are on loan from Mr. Rohrback through the Patapsco Heritage Greenway. Lisa Wingate and Gary Maule accept responsibility for its transport and care on behalf of Mr. Rohrback.|